If you haven’t already, check out my in-depth analysis of the new iPad Pro display. I think it tells us a lot about the future of what we’ll all see on Apple’s devices.
This is clearly a time where our tools and APIs need to evolve. Here are some things that you’ll need to watch out for as you start using color management on iOS:
- rdar://25836820 – Color management support is not consistent across devices
- rdar://25836842 – Color profile conversion by Xcode is not documented
- rdar://25836912 – Current color profile for display is not available
- rdar://25836961 – Quartz 2D Documentation about iOS color spaces is incorrect
- rdar://25837000 – Color Management Best Practices for iOS is incorrect
- rdar://25837030 – There is no way to turn off True Tone
- rdar://25837065 – The CGColorSpace documentation needs to be more explicit about new color spaces
- rdar://25837117 – PNG assets can’t have an embedded color profile
Of course, I’ll be covering these issues and a lot more in my new book. Sign up for the A Book Apart newsletter (at the bottom of the page) and you’ll be notified when it’s ready.